22 Oct 10/22/17 “THE LGBT AGENDA | 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW” – Pastor Shane Idleman
The LGBT Agenda – 10 Things You Need to Know
Fox News – Lighthouse Faith with Lauren Green at FoxNews.com – https://radio.foxnews.com/
At critical times in history, the pulpit needs to be the voice of truth.
The Agenda vs. The Individual – God loves the individual.
Hypothetically speaking, let’s say that it is wrong. How would God go about telling us?
Progressive Revelation is not biblical.
1. Tolerance “tolerates” differences; love embraces regardless of differences. In 2016 — God’s Scandalous Love on Youtube.
Christ doesn’t tolerate – He loves.
SCREEN 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up…”
A Reality Check on Both Sides –
“…does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth…”
“… bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
When this resembles your character, then you can speak the truth in love (c.f. Ephesians 4:15).
2. Challenging those with whom we disagree is often a characteristic of love, not hate. When doctors and therapists challenge lifestyles that are high risk, they are doing it in the best interest of their clients. The reason it’s being labeled hate speech is to silence the messenger.
Christ challenges us because He loves us.
SCREEN James 5:19-20 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.
Galatians 6:1 encourages those who live by the Spirit to go to those caught in sin and restore that person gently. But be careful that we do not fall into the same sin.
3. The Creator made His plan obvious.
Christ said… since the beginning of creation, God created them male and female in order that they would be joined together and become one flesh – to be fruitful and to multiply.
4. The exception proves that there is a rule. Exceptions do not negate the rule. 1 Corinthians 7:2 is very clear that each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
Christ – “Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate” (Mark 10:9).
5. There is no Scriptural support for homosexuality or gay marriage. Zero!
Christ used the word porneia and never validated sex outside of marriage.
Feelings are not a gauge for truth. If a one says that they struggle with anger, infidelity, or addiction we don’t change the Scriptures to fit their behavior, we offer hope in the midst of their struggle.
6. The Bible is crystal clear on the issue of homosexuality. I cringe every time I hear misguided statements such as “abandoning natural relations” in Romans 1:26-28 doesn’t mean what we think. Or that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was only neglecting the poor. (See Ezekiel 16 and Jude 1:5-8.) Additionally, early church Fathers, as well as creeds and confessions and Reformers all echoed the same truth in this area.
SCREEN Romans 1:26-28 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting…
The epidemic of suicide needs to be addressed by offering a solution.
30 years ago the pressure was to hide it, but now it’s the opposite.
7. God can advise against eating shellfish, as well as homosexuality. Although the dietary laws of the Old Testament do not apply today, they are still beneficial.
8. The mocking tones of most pastors who support homosexuality speak volumes. A movement that truly is of God is undergirded with humility; words are seasoned with grace. I think of Jeremiah 23 often.
9. “But I was born this way,” is not an excuse to indulge in sin.
Man on aqueduct
SCREEN Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
10. This struggle for gay rights is not a civil rights issue. The color of our skin is not a behavioral choice.
ONE will say, “Lord, I followed your Word. I upheld the Scriptures and anchored my life to the essentials of the faith. Your Word appeared crystal clear in this area.”
THE other side will say, “Lord, I believe that you gave us a fresh and new perspective in this area. I know that many Scriptures, as well as church history, cast homosexuality in the same light as other sins, but I don’t think that applies now. Truth is progressive.” — Whose shoes would you rather be in?
“When we become so tolerant that we lead people into mental fog and spiritual darkness, we are not acting like Christians—we are acting like cowards” (A.W. Tozer). We are so worried about offending others, but have we stopped to consider that we may be offending God?
1 Cor. 6:9 (ESV) Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practicehomosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
Back to Christ – Do you truly know Him?
Are you being led of the Spirit? God’s Word is not divided.
“I hope I’m right” won’t cut it.