12 Jun 6/10/18 “God Change Me…And Please Hurry”
Theology on Fire: THE ROLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Holy Spirit changes us so we can help others:
• He is in us for us, but upon us for others.
Changing the believer – conforming them.
• If you want to really change – humble yourself.
Negative, critical pride-filled people rarely grow because they’re not providing an environment for growth. Humility is the rich soil where spiritual health flourishes.
ROMANS 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
• SET – “to put in place.” Death – or life and peace?
Death is separation – something dies [DEATH TO SELF]
Romans 8:12, “…if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.”
It can be a process. Please give yourself & others more grace.
Change is often painful – “That hurt…I’d better change.”
• “Deeds of the body” are sinful actions: – TO LIVE, they must DIE!
This purifying work is called “sanctification” (see 2 Thess. 2:13; 1 Pet. 1:2).
“But Shane, I’m not growing.” ARE YOU OBEYING? SUBMITTING? HUMBLYING…?
God says . . .
…YOU FLEE – I WILL MAKE SURE THEY DON’T CATCH YOU.
…YOU REMOVE GOSSIP AND I WILL FILL YOU WITH MY SPIRIT.
…SAY NO AND I WILL STRENGTHEN YOU.
…YOU ABSTAIN FROM FLESHLY LUSTS AND I WILL REWARD YOU.
1. Examine yourself – “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!” (Psalm 139:23-24).
2. Reignite your passion for God – Schedule God’s Word when you’re fresh and not distracted – begin with worship and prayer.
3. Remove distractions – Whatever hurts our growth; whatever hinders prayer; whatever stifles maturity must be removed.
“In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart” (John Bunyan).
Guiding the believer – “All who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God” (Rom. 8:14).
We’re waiting for God to download directions in our mind; He’s waiting for us to obey.
It’s an ongoing, regular pattern of obedience (see Rom. 8:4, 12-13).
• When we obey, we are more sensitive to His leading. When we follow Him, He leads: “He guides the humble in what is right & teaches them His way.” Ps. 25:9
GOD LOVES REBELLIOUS CHILDREN BUT IT’S HARD TO LEAD THEM.
IRONICALLY – THE SAME STEPS THAT LEAD TO CHANGE LEAD TO DIRECTION.
Regenerating the sinner – We cannot save ourselves.
BUT is the Spirit’s work irresistible or resistIble? Acts 7:51, “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you.”
REAL CHANGE – “You must be born again” (John. 3:5-7).
• Unbeliever – Are You Resisting? Do you lack peace and hope? Submarine
The writers of the Bible plead…they beseech…they warn…they cry out…
“O come behold the works of God, The nations at His feet. He breaks the bow and bends the spear, And tells the wars to cease. O Mighty One of Israel You are on our side. We walk by faith in God who burns the chariots with fire . . . You will lead us Through the fiercest battle, Oh!! where else would we go, But with the Lord of Hosts!” shane and shane lyrics –
He Wipes out chariots with His breathe. He commands the seven seas. He created life out of nothing. He will lead you through the fiercest battle. Defeat is not an option – victory as his name.
• Robert Murray McCheyne – “If I could hear Christ praying for me in the next room, I would not fear a million enemies…”