24 Jun 6-24-18 “Is Irresistible Grace Resistible?”
THEOLOGY ON FIRE PART 16
I walk carefully and cautiously:
• If I err, I err on the side of God’s sovereignty. WALK THRU THIS WITH ME!
WHY there is a divide? Can man exercise his will?
Is the Spirit’s work irresistible or resistible?
• John 16:8 ESV, “And when He comes, He will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.”
Conviction is NOT Conversion: you always resist; you refuse correction; you do not listen; you are not willing.
1. Salvation is a supernatural act of God. Jesus said, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him” (John 6:44).
But He also encouraged people to turn from sin and turn toward God (repent). Jesus often “marveled” at the unbelief of people because of their failure to respond.
• Hel-koo’-o: to draw, pull, persuade
Acts 7:51, “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit . . .”
Ephesians 1:3 ESV, “…when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.”
• Security is NOT permission to sin –
THE QUESTION: “Did God create man to receive His offer of salvation or reject it?”
If God commands it, then we can do it! He commands all men to repent [Acts 17:30].
Norman Geisler, “Christ’s death made everyone savable, but it does not mean that everyone is saved.”
1 John 2:2, “He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.”
1. There is a healthy tension between sovereignty and responsibility. Jesus said in Mk 10:15, “Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” HERE SON / DAUGHTER
2. By nature, man does not receive the things of the Spirit. First Corinthians 2:14 states, “But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
The context is “knowing” spiritual things; not salvation.
The word “receive” (Dechomai) means to take hold of, or to welcome. The natural man definitely does not welcome the things of God, but can he accept or reject them?
4. We are all without excuse. Romans 1:20, “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen…so that they are without excuse.”
It says they did not glorify Him versus they could not.
HOW can a person be “without excuse” if they do not have the ability to perform what is being asked?
HOW can God “desire that all men be saved” (2 Tim. 2:4), but not give them a choice?
WHEN THE PLAIN SENSE OF SCRIPTURE MAKES COMMON SENSE, SEEK NO OTHER SENSE LESS IT BECOME NONSENSE . . . TAKE EVERY WORD AT ITS PRIMARY, ORDINARY, USUAL, LITERAL MEANING UNLESS THE FACTS OF THE IMMEDIATE CONTEXT . . . INDICATE CLEARLY OTHERWISE.
1. Jesus said in Luke 13:5, “Unless you repent, you all will likewise perish.” THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACTION FALLS ON THE PERSON.
2. Jeremiah 11:8, “They did not obey but followed the dictates of their own heart.” THEY “DID NOT OBEY” TELLS ME THAT THEY COULD HAVE OBEYED.
3. Jeremiah 26:2-3 (NIV), “Tell them everything I command you; do not omit a word. Perhaps they will listen and each will turn from their evil ways . . .”
4. In acts 2:30, they asked what must we do to be saved. Repent and believe – putting the responsibility back on to them.
5. In Acts 17 some of the Jews were persuaded at Paul’s teaching (PERSUADE – to cause (someone) to do something through reasoning or argument.)
6. Jeremiah 13:11, “They would not hear…they would not listen.” Not they could not hear.
7. Jesus rebuked entire cities because they did not repent.
Why is it hard for a rich man to enter heaven in Matthew 19:24.
It appears that his possessions prevented Him from following Christ.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY JUSTICE MAKE SENSE TO ME: To get what you deserve.
BUT FIRST –
MERCY: Not giving us what we deserve. / GRACE: Unmerited favor.
5. God’s nature reflects love and patience: 2 Peter 3:9 ESV, “The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”
Psalm 86:15 O Lord, you are merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
God gets all the credit – He created His creation to love or reject Him; to deny or embrace Him.
• In the fall, sin entered, but we are still made in the IMAGE OF GOD!
LATIN – imago dei [The image has been damaged, stained, and polluted].
“She may never find recovery because she knows how to live on the streets,” says Maureen, who sounds empty, hollow. “She thinks she is worthless. She does not believe she deserves recovery…” She is now prostituting to support her habit. She has been evicted from her apartment. She has been arrested numerous times, having to detox without medical support in a jail cell. Her body is failing, her kidneys are not functioning properly, her face is swollen and she has been in and out of the hospital for bodily infections. All her belongings fit in one bag, and are usually stolen by other people living on the street. This is not the life Maureen wanted for her daughter.
THERE IS SO MUCH VALUE THAT GOD GAVE HIS SON!