04 Dec 12/4/16 “THE TRUTH WILL COST YOU” – Pastor Shane Idleman
If the truth isn’t costing you something, you may want to examine your life – “Count the Cost.”
Context: Great miracles did in Jesus name so let’s imprison the Apostles.
Don’t get discouraged – the world will rarely agree with you and GOD.
1. It will cost you LIKES: We want people to LIKE us.
Can you image Jesus posting: “I AM THE WAY…”
GALATIANS 1:10 – Do I want the approval of men or God? Am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Good Reminder – The truth will offend, but my attitude shouldn’t. Be slow to speak and quick to listen.
Friends are upset at me – they “feel” judged.
Be gentle – not “in your face:” Be selective – rifle vs. a shotgun. You don’t always have to be right or win the argument – let love and grace be the driving force. I have to withhold 99% of my comments on Facebook.
When you are targetted, prayed up, sincere, loving, and humble – God can work.
Mormons, those struggling with homosexuality, those who are carnal, those who don’t know God, those who are legalistic.
JUST GOT THIS: My name is ___________ from Utah. I read your article about whose truth is true. I am a Mormon and I do agree with you on your points that the book of Mormon contradicts the bible and it is wrong to believe that only salvation lies in belonging to the church. I must admit it – it’s your articles and clips on youtube that do it for me. I feel that the scripture in Romans 10:9 is my saving grace and I am eternally grateful for you pointing that out, especially in your video where you talked about your encounter with the Mormon missionaries.
ACTS 5:17 – Then the high priest rose up, and all those who were with him (which is the sect of the Sadducees), and they were filled with indignation,18 and laid their hands on the apostles and put them in the common prison.
The truth causes Indignation – Very Disgruntled
2. It will cost you an easy life: Leonard Ravenhill said, “If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified.” TELL US SMOOTH THINGS!!
HATERS: The World, Religious People, and Legalistic groups – same spirit.
Carnal Christians are being influenced by the same spirit
High Priest’s role – The N.T. does not recognize this role: Hebrews 4:15, “For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
“Current church teaching sees celibacy as a gift that God bestows on those who are called to the priesthood. Among the church’s arguments in defense of celibacy is the example of Jesus, which must be reflected in the life of a priest.” http://www.uscatholic.org/
* Qualifications of an elder – husband of one wife and able to govern his home. Priests were not to marry widows or divorced women.
3. It will cost you comfort: 19 But at night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out, and said, 20 “Go, stand in the temple and speak to the people all the words of this life.” 21 And when they heard that, they entered the temple early in the morning and taught. But the high priest and those with him came and called the council together, with all the elders of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
OUR GOD CAN – But Even if He Doesn’t
Speak the words of life – there is no other name; there is no other truth – “Listen to no man who has not first listened to God” (Tozer).
4. It will cost your will – My will and God’s will are not friends. As with the disciples, you will experience things that you did not plan on: “Hold your plans loosely.”
But what could be better than allowing the God of the universe to guide you?
Story of Torrey Johnson – Youth for Christ – “Will you go to Africa?”
What is holding you back? What are you unwilling to give up?
Is it a habit? Is it a relationship? Is it unforgiveness…anger…pride?
HOW DO I KNOW – “If you believe on Me, as the Scriptures say, out of your belly…”
Fires can be started when there are embers.
“Come to Me and rekindle the fire.”
Yes, there is pain, but “joy cometh in the morning.”
Yes, there is sorrow, but He “will wipe away every tear.”
Yes, there is persecution, but He “sets the captives free.”
Yes, there is loneliness, but He “will never leave nor forsake you.”
Yes, there is fear, but He “is the great Comforter.”