15 Feb 2-15-14 “Teach Us How To Worship” – Pastor Shane Idleman
COMPLETE SERMON NOTES
WORSHIP HEALS / AWAKENS
DEAD Worship Parallels the Drought
WORSHIP OFTEN PRECEDES HEALING . . .
The LEPER worshiped him, saying, “Lord, if you are willing…”
A synagogue OFFICIAL worshiped Him, “My daughter has just died…”
The HEART-BROKEN MOM worshiped him, “Lord, help me my daughter is vexed with the devil.”
The DEMONIC ran and fell on his knees and worshiped Him.
WE ARE WORSHIPING THE LIVING GOD…NOT visiting A CEMETERY.
Allow brokenness, repentance and heart-felt worship to engage your soul~!
When was the last time you truly worshiped HIM?
MESSAGE: Teach Us How To Worship ~NOT NEW~
Submission leads to direction:
Rom. 8:26, “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”
1. Prioritizing: “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matt. 6:33).
WE SCHEDULE WHAT’S IMPORTANT
THE DEVIL WANTS TO GET US AWAY FROM THE SOURCE OF LIFE!
A disconnect from the source of life is the #1 cause of depression, disillusionment, and discouragement.
“Early in the morning…early I sought Him”
Full attention, not rushed … give Him your best
Fall forward…grace is renewed daily
*Practical application of Prioritizing
On my calendar. My day revolves around it.
Ministry cannot replace this.
*Music, A Psalm, Word, Prayer, and Meditation
2. Preparation: “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).
THE WORLD [influences us], THE FLESH [make excuses], AND THE DEVIL [distracts] . . . ALL ARE AGAINST US!
~ BUT “GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN ME…” ~
*Practical application of being Prepared:
Earlier to bed, everything is in place, expect setbacks…
#1 HINDRANCE: A Right Heart: “Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness” (Psalm 96:9).
If your life isn’t “set apart” you won’t worship.
“Out of the abundance” of your heart your mouth will speak and your feet will walk.
→Holiness compliments worship; worldliness fights it.
Renew Your Mind: True Detective, The Walking Dead, House of Cards…or Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?
“A holy life is the only preparation for prayer [and worship]…men do not love holy praying, because they do not love…holy living” (EM Bounds).
“Men would pray better if they lived better.” Men would worship better if they lived better.
“A man is who he is on his knees before God and nothing more.” ~McCheyne
Remove Worship blockers / Pollutants
RELATIONSHIPS: “I’d rather be lonely going up…”
ACTIVITIES: Do they build me up or pull me down?
“The gratification of the flesh and the fullness of the Spirit do not go hand in hand…We must spend much time on our knees before God if we are to continue in the power of the Holy Spirit” (R.A. Torrey).
SPIRITUAL PRIDE PREVENTS WORSHIP
Humility is a process but you must submit to the Hammer of God.
If humility is your greatest asset, PRIDE is your greatest liability.
If time is your greatest commodity…misplaced priorities is your greatest threat.
Psalms 29:2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.
Psalms 95:6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!
Psalms 99:5 Exalt the LORD our God; worship at his footstool! Holy is he!
A] Critical: if you come with a critical heart…
B] I’m too busy; too important
C] I’m good; I’ve studied most of my life
D] Holding on the anger, bitterness, and resentment
E] Repentance isn’t taking place even though confession may be.
Revival of the heart…of the home begins with prayer and worship.
3. Discipline: “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize” (1 Cor. 9:24-27 NIV).
– Just how important is discipline? This is why many leave challenged but rarely changed.
– Obedient servants have always been the closest to God.
-There is a fight; there is a struggle; it’s warfare
CLOSING: You can only worship Him through a broken and contrite heart.
Many go through outward motions