29 Apr 4/29/18 “DON’T GIVE DEMONS TOO MUCH CREDIT” – Pastor Shane Idleman
Don’t Give Demons too Much Credit
THEOLOGY ON FIRE PART 9
Handout for your consideration – listening online search the title above.
NOTE: Some of these notes are my additions –
Demons are evil angels who sinned against God and who now continually work evil in the world.
A. The Origin of Demons (p. 411)
1. Between the events of Gen 1:31 and 3:1, a rebellion in the angelic world must have taken place. (Gen. 1:31, 2Pe. 2:4, Jud 1:6) Language of ascending to heaven and setting his throne on high rebellion. (Isa. 14:12-15)
2. Angels are nonmaterial and do not marry casts doubt on idea that “the sons of God” equal angels who married human wives. Likely that “sons of God” refers to people belonging to God and, like God, walking in righteousness. (Gen. 6:2, Mat 22:30, Deu 14:1, Gen 4:26, Cf. Gen. 5, 5:3)
Gen. 6 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.
3 And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” 4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
CHUCK MISSLER – “The strange events recorded in Genesis 6 were understood by the ancient rabbinical sources, as well as the Septuagint translators, as referring to fallen angels procreating weird hybrid offspring with human women known as the “Nephilim.” So it was also understood by the early church fathers. These bizarre events are also echoed in the legends and myths of every ancient culture upon the earth . . .”. http://www.khouse.org/
The term translated “the Sons of God” is, in the Hebrew, B’nai HaElohim.
“Sons of God” present themselves to God in Job 1
It is the offspring of these peculiar unions in Genesis 6:4 which seems to be cited as a primary cause for the Flood.
DON’T GIVE DEMONS TOO MUCH CREDIT – THEY STILL NEED GOD’S PERMISSION.
B. Satan as Head of the Demons (p. 414) – NOT MUCH TIME HERE
1. “Satan”: head of the demons, God’s enemy. (Job 1 :6, 1Ch 21:1, Zec 3:1, Luk 10:18) 2. Other names for Satan: “The devil” (NT only) (Mat 4:1, Mat 13:39, Mat 25:41, Rev 12:9, Rev 20:2); “The serpent” (Gen 3:1, 2Co 11:3, Rev 12:9, Rev 20:2); “Be-elzebul” (Mat 10:25, Mat 12:24, Luke 11:15); “The ruler of this world” (John 12:31, Joh 14:30, Joh 16:11); “The prince of the power of the air” (Eph 2:2); “The evil one” (Mat 13:19, 1Jo 2:13)
THE WORLDS MINDSET; THE DOMINATING INFLUENCES are often satanic. Civil unrest – a lack of respect for authority and the elderly.
POWER-PLAYS are often demonic.
DON’T GIVE THEM TOO MUCH CREDIT – THEY CAN’T CONTROL; THEY INFLUENCE
C. The activity of Satan and demons (p. 415)
1. Satan was the originator of Sin. (Gen 3:1-6, 2Co 11:3, Joh 8:44, 1Jo 3:8) 2. Demons oppose and try to destroy every work of God. (Gen 3:1-6, Mat 4:1-11, Rev 12:9, Psa 106:37, Joh 8:44, 2Co 4:4, Gal 4:8)
Running along the side of Sovereignty is the devil trying to trip the runner.
Sitting next to the Architect is the devil with an eraser.
Standing next to the Builder is the the devil with a wrecking ball
3. Yet demons are limited by God’s control and have limited power. (Job 1:12, 2:6; Jud 1:6; Jam 4:7).
JOB – WE SEE WEATHER AND RAIDERS BEING MOTIVATED BY SATAN
Note: We should not think that demons can know the future/read our minds. God alone can know the future. (Isa 46:9-10, Mar 13:32; Mat 9:4, 12:25; Gen 6:5; Psa 139:2, 4, 23; Dan 2:27-28)
Note: Demons can observe what goes on in the world and probably draw conclusions from observations.
4. There have been differing stages of demonic activity in the history of redemption.
a. In the Old Testament (Deu 32:16-17, Psa 106:35-37, 1Co 10:20, 1Jo 5:19)i. No clear instance of casting out demons in Old Testament (1Sa 16:23)ii. Worship of demons will regularly lead to immoral and self-destructive practices (Psa 106:35-37, 1Ki 18:28, Deu 23:17)
b. Ministry of Jesus: Jesus’ power over demons a distinguishing mark on his ministry to inaugurate the reign of the kingdom of God in new and powerful way. (Mat 12:28-29, Mar 1:27)
Two kingdoms clash – “On the day, that death surrendered To the mighty cross of Jesus Christ.”
WHAT’S YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM?
c. New Covenant Age: Authority over demonic powers given to the Twelve (Mat 10:8, Luk 10:17-18, Act 8:7, 1Pe 5:8-9, 1Jo 3:8).
d. SKIP… e. At the Final Judgment: Satan will be decisively defeated (Rev 20:10)
DON’T GIVE THEM TOO MUCH CREDIT – THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN DEFEATED
D. Our Relationship to Demons (p. 419)
1. Are demons active in the world today? If Scripture gives us a true account of the world as it really is, we must take seriously its portrayal of intense demonic involvement in human society.
2. Not all evil and sin is from Satan/demons, but some is. (1Co 1:10, 1Co 5:1-5, 1Co 11:33, 1Co 11:28)
Make sure that you are listening to the right voice.
GOD GIVES . . .
Influence – always wants to be right
Authority – hard to submit; demanding
Leadership – your way or the highway
Gifting – arrogant
Constructive feedback –
always thinks they are right
a. Occasionally Jesus or Paul would cast out a demonic spirit that was causing significant hindrance to proclaiming the gospel, but that is not the usual pattern of ministry presented. The emphasis was simply on preaching the gospel (Mar 5:7-8, Mar 16:16-18, Mat 9:35, Rom 1:18-19) THEY TRY TO DISTRACT
DON’T GIVE THEM TOO MUCH CREDIT – THEY AREN’T THE EMPHASIS.
Nehemiah – they use discouragement!
I’m surrounded – I can’t go on – but then I realize, “I’M SURROUNDED BY YOU”
It may look like I’m surrounded but I’M SURROUNDED by You!