A Spirit Drenching Experience
THEOLOGY ON FIRE PART 13
Helpful Resource: Quoting Professor Wayne Grudem throughout.
• Looking to godly Christians is wise, but you must experience God yourself.
THE TWO EXTREMES
1. PEOPLE DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT WHAT THEY’VE NEVER EXPERIENCED.
• “Let’s not talk about the Spirit.”
2. PEOPLE TRYING TO MANUFACTURER THE POWER THEY LACK.
• “Let’s get loud and jump around.”
Volume doesn’t fill you w/ the Spirit; humility does. Loud doesn’t usher in His presence; brokenness does.
“A Spirit Drenching Experience” – Jesus, John the Baptist, the Disciples [men and women] / Peter / Paul, Stephen.
HAVE YOU HAD A SPIRIT DRENCHING EXPERIENCE?
. . . Do you need to be “refilled.”
. . . This service is designed to refill [it takes time].
Acts 13:52 – And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
7 Primary Activities of the Holy Spirit.
1. The Holy Spirit as a person, not a power: “Baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19). A person’s “name” in Scripture represents the character of the person (1 Cor. 12:4-6; 2 Cor. Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2). And when Peter confronts Ananias with the fact that he has told a lie “to the Holy Spirit,” he then says, “You have not lied to men but to God” (Acts 5:3-4).
A person can be quenched and grieved: materialism, pride, self-confidence, holding back, besetting sins, toxic attitudes – IS THE HOLY SPIRIT RESTRAINED?
• Remember – the Spirit yearns for righteousness, purity, humility, and repentance.
“God the Father speaks from heaven during Jesus’ baptism, “This is my beloved Son” (Matt. 3:17), and the Holy Spirit descends from heaven on Him. Jesus “saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him” (v. 16). Each person of the Trinity is doing something different at exactly the same time.” ~ GRUDEM
The WORK of the Holy Spirit –
He teaches and bears witness. Prays to the Father on our behalf. Knows the thoughts of God. Makes personal decisions about which spiritual gifts to distribute to which people. Personally guides Christians.
AS IN JESUS’ CASE – He fills and comes upon us – the difference is night & day!
• THIS IS THE FOUNDATION OF ALL THE OTHER POINTS.
“The Spirit in us longs for what God wants.” HE “helps us in our weakness … with groanings too deep for words.” He groans for righteousness . . . for justice, love, peace, and unity.
JESUS HAD A SPIRIT DRENCHING EXPERIENCE AFTER BAPTISM AND FASTING.
THE SCROLL – LK. 4:16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up..went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
Luke 4:18 [NKJV] “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.”
Isaiah 64 (NKJV) “Oh, that You would rend the heavens! That You would come down! That the mountains might shake at Your presence—”
• Are we too proud to cry out to God?
• I can’t imagine going through life with the heavens never opening. Sure, you’re a good Christian and you know the Bible – but have you ever experienced a mighty downpour?
TWO CLOSING POINTS:
1. Don’t be drunk with wine, but be filled with the Spirit!
2. LUKE 11:13, “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
William Booth – Thou Christ, the burning cleansing flame, send the fire! Thy blood-bought gift today we claim, send the fire! Look down and see this waiting host Give us the promised Holy Ghost!