13 May 5/13/18 “ENGAGE THE ENEMY WITH GOD’S WEAPONS” – Pastor Shane Idleman
Complete Sermon Notes:
Engage the Enemy with God’s Weapons
THEOLOGY ON FIRE PART 11
SOLDIER OF CHRIST – YOU ARE IN ENEMY TERRITORY
⇨ Luther said, “Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is tested.”
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- Many say, “God – I got this now. Thanks.”
“Having begun in the spirit are you now going to finish in the flesh?”
- A lifelong struggle – the enemy looks for opportune times.
- Remember – the shed blood is more powerful than your sin.
“I WILL LIFT UP MY EYES TO THE HILLS . . . WHERE DOES MY HELP COME FROM?”
RAVENHILL – “You have God Holy Spirit Jesus and angels on your side.”
Engage him w/ God’s Weapons –
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
- TRICKERY AND DECEIT
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Paul paints a graphic picture – in wrestling you grab hold of the opponent.
- Who are “the spiritual hosts of wickedness” – let me introduce you.
- Principalities – rulers over a certain area.
- Powers – the world’s power is controlled by a spiritual influence.
- Rulers of darkness: “The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God” (2nd Cor 4:4).
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- Put on the WHOLE ARMOR to avoid cracks
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth . . .
- The 1st key is positioning [stand] – running provides momentum but also instability.
- Truth allows you to stand and hold your ground – it girds [secures]
- Tell a lie enough people will believe it. If you reinforced the truth enough you’ll begin to believe it.
During The Yale Lectures on Preaching (1891), James Stalker rightly noted Martin Luther’s list of qualifications for being a minister. Two of the top ten were: 1) “He should be sure of what he means to say.” 2) “And be ready to stake body and soul, goods and reputation, on its truth.”
. . . having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
- “Having put on” – past tense or prioritizing.
- Living right guards the heart –
- “Shod your feet” – you’re bring peace
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
- Faith as a shield – complete trust or confidence in someone.
- Faith in itself has no power. Power comes from WHO you trust in.
Faith-Shield – faith as a shield blocking mental debris and physical challenges.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- Do you have the helmet of salvation?
- All weapons are defensive EXCEPT the SWORD!
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—
Does prayer saturate your life? Are you consumed by the presence of God?
An hour w/ God can breakdown what Satan has been BUILDING for years.
His spiritual fortress is no match for the BREATH OF GOD.
Satan’s principalities tremble when CHRIST COMES TO THE BATTLE.
Call in Reinforcements –