12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
• Do not be ignorant or carried away.
• “No one speaking by the Spirit of God” can deny Jesus.
Could ALSO be talking about tongues because of the following admonishment.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
• There is diversity with the goal being unity.
• These “gifts” are for the profit of all; not for the spiritual elite.
Often, a new believer is given a gift. It’s not always a mark of maturity.
You must answer this question, “Are these chapters for us today?”
8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
• WISDOM: Something is brought to mind by the Holy Spirit; possibly where action should be taken.
Examples of when I became a pastor.
• KNOWLEDGE: Something is brought to mind by the Holy Spirit that a person needs to know.
Sometimes it’s for others sometimes it’s for ourselves.
Examples of David Ravenhill [Mommies and Daddies]
Examples of warning to the church or preparation.
• FAITH: A supernatural surge of faith; confidence that God is going to do something. May be why these proceed:
• GIFTS of HEALINGS: The plural nature may indicate diversity.
God grants great faith to heal for specific healings – sometimes doesn’t mean always. This may be why Paul’s friends were not healed all the time.
• Often, those who have been healed or set-free in certain areas are used in this way to pray for people who need the same deliverance.
Fast Facts on Healing from Pastor Sam Storm:
1. Healing is God’s mercy, not our right. He may say “no,” or wait.
2. Faith and full abandonment do play a role.
Sam Storm – “God is your soul source for healing; faith in God’s ability to heal; faith in God’s heart for healing; faith that God delights to heal; faith it is His will to heal right now.”
3. Jesus had perfect faith and walked in the perfect will of God.
4. Sin: James 5:16 exhorts us to confess our sins to one another that we may be healed.
5. Demonic activity
6. “Do you want to be made well?” Sam Storm, “Some people who suffer from a chronic affliction become accustomed to their illness and to the pattern of life it requires. Their identity is to a large extent wrapped up in their physical disability. I realize that sounds strange to those of us who enjoy robust health. Why would anyone prefer to stay sick? Who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to be healed? But I’ve actually known a handful of folk who in a very real sense enjoy their dependence on others and the special attention it brings them.”
MIRACLES: “working of powers” – blindness, raising from the dead, feeding people on leftovers, etc. Again, faith would play a BIG role.