29 May 5/29/16 “ONE NATION ‘ABOVE’ GOD” – Pastor Shane Idleman
Complete Sermon Notes
WHY DOESN’T SOMEONE DO SOMETHING?
Remember and Return –
- THE NATION – Deuteronomy 28:1 – If you diligently obey the voice of the LORD and observe all that He has commanded you, He will set you high above all the nations of the earth. Psalm 33:12 – Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD.
SEEING A NATION DRIFT IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN SEEING A PERSON
- “Remember ever, and always, that your country was founded by the stern old Puritans whose first act on touching the soil of the new world was to offer on bended knees thanksgiving to Almighty God.” HENRY WILSON (1812-1875); 18TH U.S. VICE PRESIDENT
- “The law . . . dictated by God Himself is, of course, superior in obligation to any other. It is binding over all the globe, in all countries, and at all times. No human laws are of any validity if contrary to this.” ALEXANDER HAMILTON (1755– 1804), SIGNER OF THE CONSTITUTION
- “And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?” BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (1706-1790)
- “From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation…that this is a Christian nation.” THE U.S. SUPREME COURT, 1892
- In 1790, Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of Independence, said this about public schools, “But the religion I mean to recommend in this place is that of the New Testament . . . .”
- John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, said, “Unto Him who is the author and giver of all good, I render sincere and humble thanks for His manifold and unmerited blessings, and especially for our redemption and salvation by His beloved Son.”
- In 1647, the Old Deluder Law established the first biblically based public schools in America. The Colonists believed that they could protect their civil liberties by eliminating biblical illiteracy.
- As yet another example, consider the 1642 Rules and Precepts of Harvard University founded by Reverend John Harvard: “Let every student be plainly instructed, and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life (John 17:3)…and therefore to lay Christ in the bottom, as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and learning.” What would those at Harvard say today?
REMEMBER – Newsweek magazine, on December 27, 1982, in an article entitled, How the Bible Made America, made this revealing statement, “historians are discovering that the Bible, perhaps even more than the Constitution, is our Founding document.”
The Delaware Constitution initially required that everyone appointed to public office must say, “I do profess faith in God the Father, and in the Lord Jesus Christ his only Son…” Many other Constitutions such as Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, and Connecticut all acknowledged their reliance on God.
Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater – Muslims Think US ‘Has Gone Completely Insane’ Over LGBT
SLAVERY – As President of Congress Henry Laurens explained: I abhor slavery. I was born in a country where slavery had been established by British Kings and Parliaments as well as by the laws of the country ages before my existence . . . Benjamin Franklin, in a 1773 letter to Dean Woodward, confirmed that whenever the Americans had attempted to end slavery, the British government had indeed thwarted those attempts.
NATIVE AMERICANS – David Brainerd was an American missionary to the Native Americans who had a particularly fruitful ministry among the Delaware Indians of New Jersey.
DON’T CONFUSE ME WITH THE FACTS – DON’T UPSET ME WITH THE FACTS!
REMEMBER God judged nations who continually tolerated sin. Arnold Toynbee, in a ‘A Study of History’ in 1961, said: “Of the 22 civilizations that have appeared in history, 19 of them collapsed when they reached the moral state America is in today.”
I’m reminded often of Jeremiah 2
WHY DOESN’T SOMEONE DO SOMETHING?
“He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8
Pray and fast for our nation. Prayer is more powerful than protest! We should not rely on political power, but on the power of God through prayer. The great preacher, C.H. Spurgeon, once said, “I would rather teach one man to pray than ten men to preach.”
Our sincerity is measured by what we’re willing to give up!
- Fast starves the flesh so we can be filled with the Spirit – from Moses to Daniel – From Jesus to Paul – and from me to you – fasting is crucial in these dire times.
One Nation Under God—The History of Prayer in America, said that “Prayer stands as one of the most critical and indisputable factors to have influenced the course of American history.”
Why Didn’t Someone Do Something?
THOSE FIVE WORDS STILL HAUNT MY THOUGHTS TODAY!
Let it not be said of us today, “…And there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord” (Judges 2:10) because the church was apathetic, lazy, and dead to the things of God.